Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Offending the invisible friend

Do you remember the Da Vinci Code back way when? Yes, that one where all the Christians and Catholics rallied to boycott the movie. Oddly enough, I watched it with my mom when I was still very much in faith. I liked it. My mom liked it and she's hates blasphemy.

Anyway, a recent report states the [Sith] Pope Benedict of The Vatican banned the filming of Angels and Demons in any of the churches in the City of Rome. The reason? The story is an offense to God and hurts the religious faithful.

Archbishop Velasio De Paolis, head of the Vatican’s Prefecture for Economic Affairs, said that Dan Brown had “turned the Gospels upside down to poison the faith. It would be unacceptable to transform churches into film sets so that his blasphemous novels can be made into mendacious films in the name of business.”
It's funny how they don't see the irony. Religion if fine to inject itself into the public sphere with its contaminated message. There are Christian sects that invade homes with their ridiculous claims of an invisible man and his zombie son. What's wrong with doing the similar thing in your so called "house of god?" What? Did he give you the stern look down at your and said "My house my rules! If you don't like it get out?" The religious need to realize that fiction often inspires more fiction.

No comments: