Sunday, June 8, 2008

5 Things Atheist Must Consider

I don't believe in god. I reject religious faith. I want out.

When one comes out and denies god, one must consider the consequences. The consequences are whether one wants to be an educated or an uneducated atheist. Leaving your faith is one thing, but one must be educated enough respond to believers. A simple, "I don't believe in Christ [Mohammad or Moses] and God" does not quite cut it as a response. When considering oneself into an Atheistic mind set, one must understand that being a non-believer requires a lot of hard work.

1. Know how to defend yourself from Bible-thumpers - The one misconception religious people believe about atheism is that they think atheist don't know doctrine; which is an explanation for the fall out. There are atheists that know more about the bible and its contradictions than any religious person. Most religious people know their faith through church sermon lies.

2. Read Atheist Publications - Remember you aren't alone. There are those who have questioned their faith. Their views are the other side of the argument that is constantly muted by the religious. If you strongly agree with the publications then you are on your way. If you find yourself easily offended, then you may want to consider your stance.

3. Study the facts from other Religions - Sounds ridiculous right? But, it is not! Being an atheist doesn't mean rejecting the exclusive faith you've practiced. Being an atheist means you deny all faiths. By better understanding other faiths from your former religion, you get an understanding of what you are rejecting on a global scale.

4. Never use the word 'evidence' when speaking against god - This response is constantly used when Atheists answer, "I don't believe in God because of evidence" Always contend the question of god with a legitimate question: to take an example from Richard Dawkins in all his interviews says, "Why do you not believe in Thor, Zeus or any other non-Judean Christian God?" This will definitely lead into discussions, but the question proves a point on belief.

5. Research an "I dunno, God knows" topic - Question something that would make your primitive religious self say "I don't know, God knows" and research the topic. [Note: This has helped me coincidentally when a religious person questions something that can be scientifically explained (i.e. how is a rainbow formed)]

I hope these 5 Things Atheist Must Consider help you as they have helped me with my stance of Atheism. I never claim to have all the answers, but I do the best to my ability. The one thing I would suggest Atheist to do is read Darwin's The Origin of Species. If you can appreciate Darwin's findings, then your are on your way [Journal to come soon on my progression of reading The Origin of Species].

No comments: