Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin

One of my most favourite Anti-Theist comedians died tonight. He has brought laughs and powerful insight with his brand of comedy. His words will live on and will teach the future about the ironic reality of our age.

The first time I've seen Carlin's work was when I was an impressionable child watching Shining Time Station - a children's television program about the on goings in a magical train station. I recognized Carlin throughout my childhood as Mr. Conductor. When I grew up, possibly around my mid to late teens, I discovered a lot of content created by Carlin that was totally outside my first impression of him from Shining Time Station.

The internet was young and before Youtube there was Napster. I found audio clips of Carlin's comedic work on the early P2P network and just found his work astounding. It wasn't until the "You're All Diseased" stand-up with his views on religion and God where I found similar feelings from his observations. I remember my parents having a listen to "You're All Diseased". Confident that they raised me with God in my mind and heart their response was as banal as the next religious defender: Take it with a grain of salt. There must have been a lot of salt I wasted and tossed over my left shoulder to realize that salt goes on food and not in the eyes of the devil.

Carlin is possibly the catalyst started my slow transition. I owe it to his loud mouth and speak no bullshit personality. Carlin is truly a legend and he will be missed.

No comments: