Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Heinz you disappoint me

Since us Torontonians are in the midst of Pride week here, I thought this news would be appropriate.

This ad was banned in the UK


The Heinz Deli Mayo ad has been pulled after less than a week on air after viewers complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that it was "offensive" and "inappropriate to see two men kissing".


I thought the ad was funny, because who the heck would expect a Macho New York Deli guy doing such a thing. Also, kids these days are exposed to a lot of other sexual things in advertisement and two men kissing ain't the worst of it.

Other complaints include that the ad was "unsuitable to be seen by children" and that it raised the difficult problem of parents having to discuss the issue of same-sex relationships with younger viewers.


Remember when we were kids and the thought of kissing girls was and absolute no-no? We'd often make this face?[smiley4] How do you think kids will react to two men kissing? They'll laugh and more often than not there will be those who will question the act to their parents. I'm not speaking to all parents, but to those who live a P.C. life - what is the harm in explaining? If you're the ignorant ones who say "Oh it may influence them to join the life style" I will most definitely question your thought process. I'm not a parent, but as a child I remembered hating not getting a straight answer to any of my questions a child. "I'll tell you when you get older" response often leads to "well I didn't see it coming" in the near future.

No comments: