Monday, June 23, 2008

Gifts from Above

Well, not really - more like California. I purchased two items from richarddawkins.net. I ordered the A for Atheist lapel pin and The Four Horsemen DVD. The one thing that took me by surprise was that I got also the AAI Conference DVD as well and I didn't order it. I guess someone working at the store is really passionate about giving away free stuff.

I really need to find time to watch these DVDs and read all the books I picked up. So far right now I am on the third chapter of The Origin of Species; Finished A Letter to A Christian Nation in one read; read a few pages of Nothing to be Frightened of by Julian Barnes; and I have The Blind Watchmaker unopened, but I am eager to read. I am treating The Origin of Species like a school text book and reading a chapter every week. It's too large of a book to digest in one sitting. I am debating whether I should pick up Richard Dawkins The God Delusion, because I remember watching a BBC special witht he same title. Is the content in that video be a true representation of the book? I cannot decided at the moment, because I am absolutely swamped - both with work and reading during leisure time. Although, all of these books are extremely antithetical, I do indulge in fiction books as well.

I am 2/3 done Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I never read the book in my life. The book is littered with misery, helplessness and religion. For some odd reason, I actually enjoy the book. I think it's because Dickens knows how to paint a picture with words. The first chapter sealed the deal with me with his writing style. I also have in my posession the three books from Lord of the Rings, but those will be read much later on this year or possibly next year. I've watched the films first and always wondered what Tolkien wrote to illustrate the world of Middle Earth and aided Peter Jackson in his vision. The last of the new books I have in my posession is the Swiss Family Robinson in a small almost leather bound soft covered book I bought from the Goodwill. I heared good things about Swiss Family Robinson from fellow peers.

Question: Have you read any Antithetical books that inspired your transformation?

No comments: