Friday, July 25, 2008

Things I've stopped and others not so much

The Four Horsemen DVD made me think about what I've stopped doing ever since I became an Atheist. Richard Dawkins said he hasn't stopped saying grace at the table, because he can say empty words at the table. I found that be quite odd, but then I got to think that grace is a good way to just reflect on how the food got onto the plate and keep good thoughts about it. I, however, have never said grace by myself, I always have others instigate the act in a large group. I don't really mind it that much. Other's pray to god about the food, while I just think about the farmers and butchers.

Another thing I am gradually trying to stop is the use of anything related to god within a exclamation or a sign of disbelief. For example, when someone had a close call, I've had to catch myself saying, "Thank God you're alright." However, when someone does something ridiculous I still say "Oh Jesus Christ!" I figure it won't hurt to keep that exclamation and why not? It's probably the best outburst ever... well asside from "Holy Tap Dancing Christ!" You can tell I'm quite done respecting that fictional character.

One thing I will not stop doing is stop listening to "Ave Maria" when I hear a good rendition of it anywhere. Yes, I know the song is extremely influential to the Catholic faith, but it is a beautiful song. There are a lot of songs that use books as their main source of influence. I just don't see how Ave Maria is any different.

The last thing, so far, on this list is that I've stopped being so quite. I've noticed I'm saying a lot more than I used to. This blog is part of it as well.

No comments: